Distressed Area Recompete Pilot Program (Recompete Pilot Program)
EDA released a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) (PDF) on June 29, 2023, for the Recompete Pilot Program. Click here to apply. Applications are due by October 5, 2023. Click here to view program resources.
EDA will host weekly office hours to answer applicant questions leading-up to the October 5th application deadline. All are welcome to join. Please register using these links:
- Wednesday, September 27th from 4:00pm-5:00pm EDT: https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/register/eguhcwth
- Wednesday, October 4th from 4:00pm-5:00pm EDT: https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/register/axwvbetb
The Distressed Area Recompete Pilot Program (Recompete Pilot Program) will invest $200 million in persistently distressed communities to create and connect people to good jobs. This program will create renewed economic opportunity in communities that have for too long been forgotten. To do so, the program targets areas where prime-age (25-54 years) employment significantly trails the national average, with the goal to close this gap through large, flexible investments. As part of EDA’s place-based economic development approach, the Recompete Pilot Program aims to meet communities where they are by offering grant opportunities that ensure sustainable and equitable economic growth across the United States.
EDA will deploy funding through a two-phase competition.
On June 29, 2023, EDA published the Phase 1 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO). This Phase 1 NOFO invites applicants to apply for:
- Strategy Development Grants
- Approval of a Recompete Plan
Applicants who receive approval of a Recompete Plan in Phase 1 will be invited to apply to Phase 2. In the Phase 2 NOFO, investments can support a wide range of implementation activities across workforce development, business and entrepreneur development, infrastructure, and additional planning, predevelopment, or technical assistance.
To support applicants in determining geographic eligibility, EDA – in partnership with Argonne National Laboratory – has released the Recompete Eligibility Mapping Tool. Please click here access the tool, which includes a user-friendly map and instructional materials.
EDA anticipates awarding approximately $6 million to $12 million in total for Strategy Development Grants and approving at least 20 Recompete Plans at the conclusion of Phase 1. Applicants with approved Recompete Plans will be invited to submit a Phase 2 application. EDA expects to announce Phase 1 winners and release the Phase 2 NOFO in winter 2023.
In Phase 2, applicants can apply for larger awards for implementation. EDA expects to make approximately 4-8 implementation investments, with awarded regions receiving between $20 million and $50 million on average.
The Recompete Pilot Program was enacted as part of the CHIPS and Science Act of 2022 (as the Distressed Area Recompete Pilot Program). Congress appropriated EDA $200 million – of the $1 billion authorized for the program – as part of the FY 2023 Omnibus Appropriations Bill.
- Applicant Essentials
- Phase 1 Notice of Funding Opportunity (PDF)
- Application Checklist (PDF)
- Recompete Pilot Program FAQs - (As of 7/13/2023)
- Recompete Eligibility Mapping Tool
- Recompete Census Tract Viewer
- Application Documents (ZIP) (to be submitted via EDGE Portal)
- Apply for the Recompete Pilot Program via the EDA Economic Development Grant Experience (EDGE) Portal
- Applicant Templates (Highly Recommended)
- Applicant Guides and Videos
- Fact Sheet: Recompete Pilot Program (PDF) - (As of 6/29/2023)
- Fact Sheet (Spanish): Recompete Pilot Program (PDF)
- Illustrative Implementation Investments (PDF)
- Menu of Community Commitments (PDF)
- Federal Funding Opportunities (PDF)
- Census Tract Employment and Wage Data (XLSX)
- VIDEO (July 7, 2023): Recompete Webinar - Program Overview
- SLIDES (July 7, 2023): Recompete Webinar – Program Overview (PDF)
- VIDEO: How to: Determine Eligibility from the REMT for your Application
- VIDEO (July 25, 2023): Recompete Webinar - Application Basics
- SLIDES (July 25, 2023): Recompete Webinar – Application Basics (PDF)
- VIDEO (September 6, 2023): Recompete Office Hours
- SLIDES (September 6, 2023): Recompete Office Hours (PDF)
- VIDEO (September 20, 2023): Recompete Office Hours
- VIDEO: EDGE – Submission button is greyed out
- Press Release: Biden-Harris Administration Launches Recompete Pilot Program Funding Opportunity
- Other Resources